Zero Waste Principles & Practices Training Course
Las Vegas, NV
Wednesday, February 9 - Friday, February 11, 2022
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
The Zero Waste Principles & Practices course helps you create a plan for achieving zero waste that works for your community. Learn how to infuse zero waste concepts and practices into your programs, communications and community engagement, and access new partners and funding to help you reach your new waste-reduction goals.
As a result of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the components of a Zero Waste System
- Evaluate waste composition data to determine what materials could be prevented, reduced, reused, recycled, or composted
- Describe the flow of materials over their entire lifecycle
- Prepare a Zero Waste collection system
- Describe options for residential Zero Waste collection systems
- Describe options for commercial Zero Waste management systems
- Evaluate markets for recovered materials
- Discuss the types of technologies available to process organic materials
- Describe Zero Waste management of challenging material types
- Set up and run a Zero Waste event
- Design a behavior change program
- Describe the options for program funding
- Develop contracts that assist in achieving Zero Waste goals
The Zero Waste Principles & Practices course encompasses a broad overview of Zero Waste principles and practices in 10 modules covering public policy, programs, technology, and measurement.
- Introduction to Zero Waste, including a survey of different definitions and perspectives
- What’s In Your Waste Stream?
- Upstream, Midstream, and Downstream
- Collections Options
- Processing Technology Options
- Managing Organics
- Public Venues and Challenging Materials
- Changing Behavior through Education and Outreach
- Financing and Funding
- Contracting and Partnerships
The course will be presented as a live, in-person learning event led by a SWANA-certified faculty instructor.
Location & Hotel Reservations
Tuscany Suites & Casino
255 E. Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, NV 89169
Currently, Las Vegas mandates mask-wearing indoors at all times for vaccinated and unvaccinated persons. SWANA will uphold the mandate.
As such, SWANA expects its instructors, students, and staff to comply with the local requirements, and will remind students of the mandate throughout the program.
The course includes the Zero Waste Principles & Practices course manual.
Continuing Education Credit
Upon completion of the course, SWANA awards participants 30 continuing education credits.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for collection system owners, operators, managers, system planners, and employees responsible for collection system operations management.
The Zero Waste Principles & Practices certification course is a joint undertaking of SWANA and the California Resource Recovery Association. CRRA is dedicated to achieving environmental sustainability in and beyond California through Zero Waste strategies. SWANA, with its work in 47 chapters across the United States and Canada, is committed to educating professionals working in the industry and to moving the industry as a whole from a focus on solid waste management to resource management.